Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Bigger Than Right Now



 This was the question I asked myself this morning during my devotions. What am I doing to influence those around me to want to know Jesus? It is a simple enough question, but when actually thought over, it kind of hurts. What am I doing? How does my life look different? And if it does, in fact, look different, what am I saying when people ask me why? 

It can be difficult in today's society to take a bold stance on a social media platform, via text message or phone call, or even the old fashion way of communicating - face to face. I think this meme pretty well sums up how it feels at times:


But, here is the issue at hand: do you do it anyway? And if you find your courage to state your opinion, what are you saying and who are you trying to please? 

We live in a country that is a hotbed of political, spiritual, emotional, and intellectual differences ready to become volatile and destructive at any moment. We have the tendency to push away those who do not agree with us - it is more comfortable to be involved with a group of people who see eye-to-eye with us, than to befriend those who may have a different opinion. Now, why should we seek those who, at least from the Christian perspective, do not believe in God, or who have a different lifestyle than us? Because there is more at stake than just our reputation on the internet or with our friends - eternity is on the line.

"Rescue those who are being taken away to death; hold back those who are stumbling to the slaughter. If you say, 'Behold, we did not know this,' does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who keeps watch over your soul know it, and will he not repay many according to his work?" (Proverbs 24:11-12, ESV). The commentators below have this to say about this passage:

"Now, there is somebody you could help, and you know it, and you could do something about it" (J. Vernon McGee, 2008).
"You know, you can't beg off your responsibility because God knows your heart. God know what's in your mind. And you may try to excuse your actions. 'Oh, I didn't know.' But yet God is going to ponder your heart. God know that's in your mind. And God will render every man according to his works" (Chuck Smith, 1979).
This is where we come in - as Christians, this is our cue: to do something. Here is how Peter put this same message to his audience:

"Therefore, preparing you reminds for actions, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the relation of Jesus Christ. As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is only, you also be holy in all you conduct. . ." (1 Peter 1:13-15, ESV).

So what does this look like in action? For those of you who are bullet-pointers, here you go:

1) "Preparing your minds"
That word prepare (Greek: anazonymi, verb), comes for the example set by the people of the Orient. They would bind their long garments closely around their bodies before setting out on a long journey, or setting about any work. In other words, they got the extra material out of their way in order to go about their work more efficiently. Get it? They prepared themselves to do the hard work by removing obstacles - and that is what we are supposed to be doing with our minds?! Dang.

2) "being sober-minded"
This word, (Greek: nepho, verb) is pretty straight forward. It means to be calm and collected in spirit. How many of us could use that right about now? Are we calm and collected in spirit? To use the proverbial slang term, are you chill? How can we possibly communicate the grace of God to those who do not know him, if we are up in arms at those same people for not agreeing with us?


3) "set your hope fully on the grace. . ."
This gives us a focal point. This is where our eyes should be. This is what our hope should be in - the grace that we have been shown. The grace that is ours. The grace that other people should know about. This reminds us that there is something BIGGER THAN RIGHT NOW that we should be focusing on.

So, I've said all of this to you, I've used the Word of God to remind you that we are called to more than petty arguments, pretty inspirational quotes, or heated text arguments on  Facebook string. But what does that look like for me? 

Well, I recently acquired more free time than I really know what to do with (that is another blog post waiting to be written) and I'd like to use it to the benefit of those around me. 

What does that look like? 

Well, I'd like to send you a letter. I'd like to encourage you. I just found a whole stack of "thank you"cards that I don't have any plans for, and I'd like to use them for you. If you're up to the task, send me an email with your prayer requests and your address included. Let me know how I can be praying for you. If you're not a praying person, let me know about issues you have going on in your life, and, I'll still be praying for you. If you want to know more about why I believe what I believe, include that in your email and I would be happy to chat with you. Writing has always been a bit easier for me in the realm of effective communication, so I'd love to use that to your benefit. 

And for those of you who just needed some encouragement to be bold, to stand up for what you believe in, to be different, allow me to leave you with this thought:

"Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and hared and seen in me - practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you" (Philippians 3:8-9, ESV).








1 comment:

  1. Thankful you're writing again and allowing the Lord to speak through you. What a gift!!

    ReplyDelete

Haircut

Haircut