Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Blessed Assurance

In nursing school, they preach the whole idea of "prevention." Rather than cure someone, just help them to not acquire any diseases. Well, as made evident by society, disease is inevitable. And, until today, I was just another non-compliant human.

Despite multiple suggestions from my sister to go to the ophthalmologist, I have not gone. Until today.

He was kind enough to numb my eyeballs, expose them to the world via dilation, shine an extremely bright light in them, and then proceed to tell me that my optic nerves are "pink and happy." This all sounds so pleasant. Then, came the verdict I was hoping he was going to rule out for me.

"Because of the fact that you are 20, a woman, and presenting with all of these symptoms, I can't rule out MS. You can have MS without optic neuritis - which you don't have. So, I can't say for sure. You need to see a neurologist who will do some tests, and if those come up inconclusive, then you can go in a big machine that will take pictures of your brain. So, it's either too much stress and your body is revolting, or MS."

Well...this all seems so sudden. Perhaps I fell over once. And yes, my eyes are blurry. And I will even admit to my hands feeling like they are on fire. I will even admit to a headache everyday. But MS? No.

I am doing my best to not dwell on the "what-ifs" of this situation. I simply say that the doctor is trying to "rule out MS." Because, as far as I am concerned, these strange things are not MS. I just have a rebellious body. 

Prayer. That's all I've got to keep me calm. 


Blessed Assurance
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.
This is my story, this is my song,
  Praising my Savior all the day long.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you went even with the MORE questions! I know that God will guide you through everything He has set before you! And Miles and Mountains and rivers and oceans won't keep me from walking it with you! I love you sister! I am praying and continuing to pray, and just know you made a whole group of middle aged moms happy with the fact that you set this in motion! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will refrain from asking lots of questions here and wait until Saturday. Praying for you my sweet friend! I am right down the hill, if you need me, call me... "just call my name I"ll be there in a hurry, you don't have to worry.." ;)

    ReplyDelete

Haircut

Haircut