Monday, April 14, 2014

I Failed Another Resolution

4 months and 14 days in, and I will be the first to take the walk of shame down the "I have failed yet another New Year's resolution to lose weight" path.

In all fairness, I'm not sure the ever faithful "I will lose ___  pounds this year" has ever truly stuck with me. There have definitely been years that I've said, "I'm just not going to have a resolution this year. That way, when I don't keep it, I won't be letting myself down." Bleh. Talk about an easy out!

Well, today is the beginning of my new year

Ha. Just kidding. This is what has really been happening.

I'm getting married in 19 weeks. Whoa! How it snuck up on me that fast I will never know. Regardless, it's happening, and I am so excited! Noah and I have been together for three and a half years today. I'm not even going to begin the expansive list of things that I love about him or all of the lessons I've learned. Just know, dear reader, that there are many and I am madly in love. But, in the spectrum of a lifetime, a brief moment at a (Lord willing) beautiful wedding, wearing a (truthfully) beautiful dress, should not be motivation to stick to a commitment. I believe it should be something bigger. Let's try the next recent event.

I started working at Starbucks one month and 4 days ago. For those who are curious, I absolutely love it and am so thankful for the opportunity to work there, and yes, I have a favorite drink to make, consume, and encourage others to try. Unbeknownst to the common coffee shop goer, there is a lot of manual labor that happens at Starbucks; both behind the counter, as well as behind the swinging door to the mysterious "back" we tell you we will check when you ask for a pastry not visible in the display case. Being out of shape and performing said manual labor has not yet been too terribly challenging, but there have been a few bumps and bruises that may not have otherwise happened. However, in the grand scheme of things, lifting heavy boxes and running around filling ice containers, making delicious beverages, or moving refrigerators is not a fantastic reason to recommit to a New Year's resolution. So, what is?

Well, I will tell you what it is for me personally (everyone has their own motivation, but I've begun to see reasons to change my lackluster commitment in a new light).

You and I are made in the image of God. I know, it may seem a silly or trivial reason to commit to taking better care of myself, but really. If you had the opportunity to "Freaky Friday" with your favorite actor or actress, you'd want to treat them with respect, and probably glam it up a bit. Well, you're made in the image of God daily. It is unchanging. And what's better is that He is unchanging. He looked at you and me and the rest of Creation, and saw that it was good. If that is not motivation enough, let me add the cross to the mix. God saw that it was good (Genesis 1:31) and wanted to spend the rest of eternity with us. So, in order for that to happen, he sent his one and only Son (check out John 3:16) to save us. Save us from what? From eternal separation from the very Being who created us. From Hell. And from pain and suffering for all of eternity. If I knew that someone loved me so wildly and romantically as to sacrifice their LIFE for me, then I would do everything I could to find him and tell him how much I loved and appreciated him. Well, I have done that by starting a personal relationship with Jesus. And let me tell you, the hope I have in Him (Hebrews 6:19) is something to rejoice about!

All this to say, that the way I treat myself, reflects how I treat the work of my Savior's hands. And thus far, I've been doing a pretty lousy job. It's not about a New Year's resolution, it's about the fact that I am made in the image of God. I am loved by the one and only true God, and I believe that He wants what is best for me. I don't plan on becoming super skinny and only eating kale, but I do plan on putting effort forth to respect God's creation; myself and others included. This isn't just a self-respecting thing. This is looking at the work of the Savior's hands and seeing the love He has for us. Just yesterday, it dawned on me all of the people who don't know or don't want to know the love of God. Dang. I only wish that I was able to adequately express how heavy that realization was.

Anyway, this post is not a slam to people who feel overweight or out of shape, and just haven't done anything to change that. I dig. Up until 2.5 hours ago, I hadn't done anything either. But then I walked and jogged. It was hard and I am still slowly recovering, but it was done. Please, dear reader, don't get down on yourself because one more blogger is talking about putting forth effort to get into shape. Instead, realize that you are loved, that Jesus died for you, and that if you never put on running shoes, those facts will never change. You are 100% loved and cared for by your Savior. If you have yet to meet Him, I really encourage you to do so!

Let me end with these two verses,

". . . for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, AND all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus" (Romans 3:23-24).

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9).

There you go dear reader. Ask questions. Read the verses mentioned for yourself. See that the Lord is good.

1 comment:

Haircut

Haircut