Thursday, January 23, 2014

Draw Near

I sat down to prepare for Beloved yesterday and realized that I only had three verses to study. Mildly concerned I would not have enough material, I prayed and began the journey (cliche, but more gripping than other beginnings). 

I read through Hebrews 4:14-16 and was fairly amazed. In short, the love of God is just so much bigger than I can fathom - but, I already knew that about myself. However, verse 16 quite literally took my breath away. It is written out below:

"Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

Draw near - what a powerful thought. What does that mean? Well, at the risk of my small group girls reading this before I am able to share it with them in person, I would love to tell you! 

This type of "draw near" is like one would do to come before a king or highly regarded leader. One would not simply waltz up to Obama and say, "Hey bro, I've got this wicked speeding ticket. Uh, fix it!" Of course not! I would hope, with no political agenda to be discussed, that anyone would approach the president with honor and respect. He is in a position of authority that, by nature, demands respect. He is leading an entire country! 

Now, imagine God. The Almighty, Alpha and Omega, I Am, Jehovah. Using the example above, one would not do this with God either. There would be respect, admiration, and honor given. He is our Creator; and while Obama leads a nation, God created the Earth and all who are on it! It would almost seem that God is unapproachable. But that is where the "throne of grace" mentioned in the verse comes into play!

By the blood of Jesus, we are saved from our sins. By the blood of Jesus, are we able to come before God. Why? Don't think you're worthy? Think you're too bad for God? Well, truth be told, we are all born sinners. But, with the promise of John 3:16 (for God so LOVED the WORLD that He GAVE His one and only SON that WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT PERISH but have ETERNAL LIFE) in mind, we are covered in grace. When God sees us, He sees the atoning sacrifice of Jesus and welcomes us into His presence. 

So, why is this so important? Because it reminds us of the true and genuine love of our Savior. Love that is so pure, strong, and captivating. This is a love that no one should miss out on! If you don't know Jesus, or think you are too unworthy, pray! It is so simple. And if it is terrifying to think of even attempting to come before God, remember that He wrote the words "draw near" in the Bible for all to see for all eternity. They were written for me, and they were written for you. I needed the reminder that He loves me and that I am welcome. And with that, I am safe in the watchful eye of my Savior who rules mightily, seated on a throne of grace.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew that 2 words could be so rich in meaning... Draw Near.... I want to do just that! Thank you for the reminder. May God bless you and your precious girls of Beloved!! In His grip & grateful! mom

    ReplyDelete

Haircut

Haircut